Create Account
Victor-Schultze Collection

Victor-Schultze collection of the theological faculty

"The school named after Victor Schultze was authorized and thereby founded by a ministerial decision on the 1st of December 1884. This had been encouraged by Professor Schultze, who was born on the 13t of December 1851 in Fürstenberg in Waldeck in Hessen, and who was working as a professor in Greifswald since 1883. In 1884, he was named occasional professor, and in 1888 regular professor. He taught the history of the church at the theological faculty, and the closely linked subject of Christian archaeology. His scientific work was mostly dedicated to archaeology and art history. In 1926, Victor Schultze was named emeritus; he died on the 6th of January 1937 in Greifswald. After World War II, the traditional institute was founded in 1946, which still carries the name of Victor Schultze today. In 2005, the professorial chair for Christian archaeology was established.

The collection constitutes the starting point for a modern binding and cooperation between archaeology and theology, as well as art, which is, regarding the contents, enrichment for the theological faculty. The exhibits refer to a time in which Christianism is merely rooting, and where its traditional strength comes from.

This is underlined by the numerous replicas and originals, including, among many others, around 100 coins of the late antiquity, several lamps and around two dozen figures of gothic sculptures. Many mouldings depict the important memorials of the late antique, Christian, but also roman and byzantine art and therefore go back to the very roots of Christian art.

The work within the collection was an integral part of the teaching events.
Contact / Sightseeing possibilities
Victor-Schulze-Institut für Christliche Archäologie und Geschichte der kirchlichen Kunst Theologische Fakultät
Ernst-Moritz-Arndt-Universität Greifswald

Am Rubenowplatz 2/3
17487 Greifswald
dc00293